This is a Russian-Hainanese cuisine restaurant that somewhat brings back good memories. Ion years ago, ex and I had our 2nd date there. It is famous for its borsch soup and skewer meat for a good 30 years. Now, it is iconic at Far East Shopping Centre on Orchard Road.
Unlike the traditional russian borscht soup cooked with beets, Shashlik’s borsch soup is cooked with beef, onions, cabbage, carrots, tomatoes and potatoes. To give the soup a creamier taste, add sour cream. It is quite similar to beef and vegetables soup.
I attempted to stew a pot. It took hours to soften the ingredients and bring out the flavor. Serving for 4 to 6.
– 6 garlic cloves
– 1 large carrot
– 1 large yellow onion
– 1 large potato
– 2 tomatoes
– Some celery
– 1/2 cabbage
– 500g of beef cubes
– 1.5 cups of beef broth
– 1.5 cups of vegetable broth
– 2 cups of water
01. Slice carrot, onion, potato, tomatoes, celery and cabbage.
02. Add beef cubes to a pot of boiling water.
03. Add beef broth and vegetable broth.
04. Add all the other ingredients.
05. Salt and pepper to taste.
06. Transfer pot to a slow cooker.
07. Set to High for 30 mins.
08. Set to Low for the next (guess what) 8 hours.